I haven’t moved for over 5 years, and this was an ‘upstairs’ move, so naturally I forgot some things.
1) No one will show up to help you move unless you bribe them.
A miscommunication with the Cousins meant we did it all on our own, and since we hadn’t really packed well, it meant a lot of schlepping.
2) Something will go wrong.
Like being at work till 1am the night before the move?
3) The internet will be down for one week.
No matter how you plan it, it’s going down for a week. SBC fucked me over and it’s still down. Should be up today or tomorrow. The short story is SBC hooked up my phone on the right date and time on Monday afternoon (this has never happened before, FYI). But. They didn’t put that information into their computer until Thursday night, which meant my DSL company (the sexy and perfect Speakeasy) couldn’t flip on my DSL until Friday. And? SBC had ‘forgotten’ to switch the copper over, so they couldn’t promise DSL till the 7th. *sigh* I am in withdrawl.
4) You won’t have enough elevator time.
No matter how well you pack, you just wont. We used a total of 7 hours of freight elevator time, and I think we would have been okay if we’d had big strong men handy.
5) The cats will find all the places you thought you locked up safely, and get in.
Vicious is now nicknamed Houdini. We did get the doors fixed on Friday morning, though, so now she can’t get into the bathroom. Of course, none of the closets lock correctly, so they’ll be fixing that this week. Had to order new parts.
6) Something involving water will happen adversly.
In this case, the shower drain seals itself very nicely and won’t open. Whoops.
7) You won’t be able to find anything in the kitchen, even if you put it away.
“Honey, where’s the soy sauce?”
“Next to the oven, third shelf. Where’s the chili paste?”
“Fridge. Where are the plastic cups?”
And so on and so forth.
8) Even with more storage, you don’t have enough room for everything.
Why the hell this happens, I don’t know. We have two full, walk in closets and yet the laundry cart is still open in the bedroom. The undersink has more room, but I can fit less in it. The pots and pans are higeldy-piggeldy all over, and I think the vaccuum cleaner’s in the hall closet.
9) Someone will get hurt.
It was minor, and we lived. We were very sore.
10) When it’s all over, you’ll remember why you hate moving.
See you all later!